Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Obama said it's sexy

I recently produced a web series about weatherization training and green building for the "National Center of Healthy Housing." I wrote the script, directed the interviews, and collaborated with the editor. The videos provide technical guidance on how practices and indoor environments can affect occupant health. We shot some of the interviews and broll in Washington, D.C. and then I traveled to Minneapolis and Chicago to film the on-camera host and more interviews. Even though there was a lot of technical information for me to learn in a short time period, I really enjoyed learning about ways to create cost-efficient and energy-saving green buildings.

I produced this series through "The National Association of Home Builders Production Group," who I’ve worked with over the past couple of years. I used to produce the corporate videos for the Association’s 220,000 members. During that time, I wrote and produced a two-part series on green building for "HGTV-Pro." The series was produced in conjunction with the NAHB’s Model Green Home Building Guidelines which serve as a toolkit for builders looking to utilize green building practices. Due to my green building knowledge, I also researched and conceived story ideas for a green home-related weather segment for the Weather Channel.

It’s cool that weatherization and green building have gotten the attention of President Obama. He recently outlined a plan to offer cash incentives to consumers who make energy-efficient renovations, such as replacing doors, caulking windows and padding their attics with more insulation. Obama actually declared that he found insulation "sexy" because it will save money. The new weatherization program will help to create jobs for the beleaguered building trades. Termed, “cash for caulkers," the program will use direct government incentives to consumers to spur economic activity, similar to the "cash for clunkers" last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment