Friday, February 5, 2010

Banff Film Festival at National Geographic

I love film festivals. Especially when the films are about things like kayakers narrowly bypassing hippos in the muddy rivers of Africa, a rockclimber struggling to conquer a sheer cliff in England, and a biker riding 20,000 miles on a tandem bike. I caught the February 4th screenings of the "Banff Film Festival" at National Geographic. It reminded me of the Kiwanis' Travelogue series my parents used to take me to when I was kid. The films were great but it would've been even better if the filmmakers had been there to discuss their productions.

I was curious how the tandem bike story, called
"Take a Seat" was filmed. A guy, by himself, seriously couldn't have filmed this whole trip alone. I found this on the site: "This idea was conceived always with filming in mind. I'd be a fool to pass up an opportunity to document not only the places but the people I encountered while I rolled south. So that is what I did, camera booms sticking out awkwardly from the bike or resting in my hand while I struggled with the free arm to control a fourteen foot, articulated bike and trailer. I couldn't begin to estimate the number of miles covered on foot, while I jogged up the rode to set the camera, then jog back to ride past it and pick it up again. Without the help of companions and new found friends however, the filming would have been nearly impossible. I have now come out the other side with nearly 200 hours of spectacular footage documenting every aspect of the journey. - Dominic Gill"

No comments:

Post a Comment