Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Locations Scouting

I got a call last Thursday from a client who needed help in finding a location in DC for a meeting (the meeting was for 330 people). I love the challenges of finding a needle in a haystack. I started my research thinking I should be more prepared for these kinds of searches but each search is so different and unique that it's hard to be prepped for that exact search. If anything, I'm so thankful for the research tool I have in the internet.

When I used to work as an Associate Producer for an HGTV show, my job was to find homes converted from commercial structures. Easy enough. Although, the homes could not be multi-family structures (no loft buildings, etc), they had to be converted by the homeowners who lived in them, and they had to be cool-looking places. I used Google to find the majority of the stories (of course, with help from other people and sources). Sometimes when I'd get in touch with the homeowners, they'd ask, "How did you find me?!" I was able to find enough stories, from a real-live cowboy who converted a jail in Texas to a Nebraska family living in a "underground missile silo," for 3 seasons. The show was Building Character.

No comments:

Post a Comment